Digging Deeper – May 15, 2018
TUESDAY, MAY 15
Titus 2:3 ESV
WONDER WOMAN: HER MOUTH
What did Mama always say? For most of us, mama said a lot and generally, it was for our own good. Here are what someone called “Great Sayings of Biblical Mothers.”
– Samson’s mother said, “Get your hand out of that lion. You don’t know where it’s been!”
– David’s mother said, “I told you not to play in the house with that sling! Go practice your harp. We pay good money for those lessons!”
– Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego’s mother said, “Leave those clothes outside, you smell like a dirty ol’ furnace!”
– Noah’s mother said, “No, you can’t keep them! I told you, don’t bring home any more strays!”
– Judas’ mother said, “Have you been in my purse again?!”
In Titus 2, Paul continued his encouragements about God’s desire for women and one of them was they not be “slanderers.” Slander is another word for gossip and comes from the same Greek root as the name for Satan. These are words that are intentionally malicious in tearing others down behind their back.
It’s so easy to get caught up in saying harsh words. But God wants us to use our words for good and not evil. God says, “Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification, according to the need of the moment, so that it will give grace to those who hear” (Ephesians 4:29).
Using our words to give grace to those who hear is a beautiful picture of using our words for good. What are some ways you can use your words to give grace today? Can you think of someone who needs to hear words of grace today? Go ahead and call them, send a text, write a note or go to their office and bless them with your words.