WORTH IT – Jesus Wants to Conquer My Sin
Sermon Based Group Homework
For the message on January 13, 2019
Passage: Hebrews 9:1-28; Hebrews 10:1-18
This Sunday, Mike continued our series in Hebrews showing us how Jesus and His blood sacrifice is better than the animal sacrifices associated with the Old Covenant Tabernacle and Temple.
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
How do you respond at the sight of blood? Have you ever been a blood donor? If so, why?
LET’S GO DEEPER
1. In the message Sunday, Mike talked about the fact that God is more holy than most of us think. What can we learn about God’s character and attitude toward sin from the following verses?
Habakkuk 1:13 (ESV)
13 You who are of purer eyes than to see evil and cannot look at wrong…
Job 34:10 (ESV)
10 “Therefore, hear me, you men of understanding: far be it from God that he should do wickedness, and from the Almighty that he should do wrong.
James 1:17 (ESV)
17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.
- Why do you think God doesn’t just gloss over the sins of the world and let bygones be bygones?
- Why do you think it’s important to remind ourselves often concerning God’s holiness and His nature to only do what is good and right?
2. The animal sacrifices of the Tabernacle and Temple along with the blood sacrifice of Jesus are reminders that our sin is worse than many of us realize. What do the following verses tell us about the sin that is in every person?
Psalm 51:5 (ESV)
5 Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me.
Jeremiah 17:9 (ESV)
9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately sick; who can understand it?
Mark 7:21-22 (ESV)
21 For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft, murder, adultery, 22 coveting, wickedness, deceit, sensuality, envy, slander, pride, foolishness.
Romans 3:23 (ESV)
23 for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God,
- Why do we have the tendency to minimize our sin? Why is our first reaction to our own sin often to cover it up and blame others?
- What kind of daily habit do you think it will take to help you stay sensitive to the sin that crouches at the doorstep of our hearts?
3. While God could have left us in our sinful condition without hope for escape from His judgment and wrath, He chose to extend grace by making a way back to Him through Jesus’ sacrifice. What do the following verses tell us about God’s amazing grace?
Titus 2:11-13 (ESV)
11 For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, 12 training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, 13 waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ,
Ephesians 2:8-13 (ESV)
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. 11 Therefore remember that at one time you Gentiles in the flesh, called “the uncircumcision” by what is called the circumcision, which is made in the flesh by hands— 12 remember that you were at that time separated from Christ, alienated from the commonwealth of Israel and strangers to the covenants of promise, having no hope and without God in the world. 13 But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ.
Romans 5:1-2 (ESV)
1 Therefore, since we have been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ. 2 Through him we have also obtained access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and we rejoice in hope of the glory of God.
- In your own words, why is God’s grace amazing to you?
TAKE IT HOME
1. Looking back at this week’s teaching and study, is there one thing you’d especially like to remember this week?
2. Do you have any prayer requests for your group?