Sermon Based Group Homework
For the message on March 28, 2021
Passage: John 10:7-10
This Sunday, Cole continued our series called “Jesus.” Cole challenged us to go through Jesus (the Door) for eternal salvation, daily security, and soul satisfaction.
Looking back at your notes from Sunday’s message, was there anything you heard for the first time, caught your attention, or challenged you?
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
Have you ever broken a lock on a door knob to get through a door? If so, why, and why did you want to get through the door so urgently?
LET’S GO DEEPER
1. Many people are hoping to enter through the door to eternal life in heaven with God. The problem for some will be that they have opened the wrong door. Some open the door of religious involvement while others open the door of good works. Behind each of these doors is darkness and separation from God for eternity. Jesus claimed, “I am the door; if anyone enters through Me, he will be saved.” What do the following passages say and don’t say about how to receive eternal salvation?
Matthew 7:21-23 (ESV)
21 “Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22 On that day many will say to me, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?’ 23 And then will I declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.’
Ephesians 2:8-9 (ESV)
8 For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast.
Galatians 2:16 (ESV)
16 yet we know that a person is not justified by works of the law but through faith in Jesus Christ, so we also have believed in Christ Jesus, in order to be justified by faith in Christ and not by works of the law, because by works of the law no one will be justified.
When did you open the door of faith in Jesus? Do you think there will ever be a time when that door will shut and not allow outsiders to enter?
2. In the Bible, Jesus is called the Good Shepherd who ensures that the sheep (believers) under His care will always have what they need. Jesus said, we will “go in and out and find pasture.” A shepherd’s primary job is to ensure his flock is led to green pasture so the sheep can be nourished. Cole said a relationship with Jesus will bring soul satisfaction. Describe what you think he meant by that statement. What can we learn from the following passages about man’s pursuit of soul satisfaction?
Jeremiah 2:13 (ESV)
13 for my people have committed two evils: they have forsaken me, the fountain of living waters, and hewed out cisterns for themselves, broken cisterns that can hold no water.
Psalm 107:9 (ESV)
9 For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things.
Isaiah 58:11 (ESV)
11 And the LORD will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden, like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail.
John 6:35 (ESV)
35 Jesus said to them, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me shall not hunger, and whoever believes in me shall never thirst.
What “doors” have you walked through in life to find soul satisfaction? How did those things work for you?
Do you think your soul is satisfied in Jesus? Why or why not?
3. What do you think Jesus means when He promises to give us abundant life? Do you think He means that if we follow Him, we will have stuff? What has a relationship with Jesus brought you in abundance?
4. According to John 14:6, did Jesus leave open the possibility of our finding eternal salvation and soul satisfaction and security through any other means than Him?
John 14:6 (ESV)
6 Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.
What are some ways Jesus has brought life to you since coming to know Him by faith?
TAKE IT HOME
1. What is your biggest takeaway from this sermon and study?
2. Do you have any prayer requests for your group?