Sermon Based Group Homework
For the message on October 17, 2021
Passage: Acts 8:26-40
This Sunday, Mike continued our “Live Sent” series by looking at the story of Phillip and the Ethiopian eunuch.
Looking back at your notes from Sunday’s message, was there anything you heard for the first time, caught your attention, or challenged you?
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
When you think of the words “evangelism” or “witnessing,” what positive and negative words, images or stories come to mind?
LET’S GO DEEPER
1. In the message, Mike challenged us to impact one person at a time in the way Phillip led the Ethiopian eunuch to faith in Christ. First, Mike encouraged us to be where God wants us to be. More than a physical location, Mike challenged us to be where we needed to be spiritually. In the following passage, the Apostle Paul instructs Timothy in how to reach those who are skeptical of the gospel. Before giving Timothy some evangelism “tips”, what does Paul say needed to happen first in the life of the believer doing the witnessing? Why is this important?
2 Timothy 2:22-26 (NLT)
22 Run from anything that stimulates youthful lusts. Instead, pursue righteous living, faithfulness, love, and peace. Enjoy the companionship of those who call on the Lord with pure hearts. 23 Again I say, don’t get involved in foolish, ignorant arguments that only start fights. 24 A servant of the Lord must not quarrel but must be kind to everyone, be able to teach, and be patient with difficult people. 25 Gently instruct those who oppose the truth. Perhaps God will change those people’s hearts, and they will learn the truth. 26 Then they will come to their senses and escape from the devil’s trap. For they have been held captive by him to do whatever he wants.
- List below the specific character qualities of the effective Christian witness.
- List below the tips or instructions given to Timothy for how to engage a skeptic or uninterested person with the gospel.
- Based on what you see in this passage, what are some changes you may need to make in your life and approach to evangelism to become an effective witness for Christ?
2. A second principle of witnessing demonstrated by Phillip when he paid close attention to the man and what he was reading. What prevents most of us from paying attention to the people around us throughout the day? In the message, Mike said that asking people about their lives shows that we care about them and it helps us know what they are interested in. What does the following passage in the Message paraphrase teach us?
1 Corinthians 9:19-23 (Message)
I have voluntarily become a servant to any and all in order to reach a wide range of people: religious, nonreligious, meticulous moralists, loose-living immoralists, the defeated, the demoralized—whoever. I didn’t take on their way of life. I kept my bearings in Christ—but I entered their world and tried to experience things from their point of view. I’ve become just about every sort of servant there is in my attempts to lead those I meet into a God-saved life.
- This week, what would it look like for you to pay more attention to the people that cross your path? How could you show them that you care about them as a person?
3. Finally, Phillip began with the knowledge that the man had about God, and began to slowly and intentionally lead him to a saving knowledge of Jesus. Why is it important for us not to assume where people are spiritually? How can getting to know a person better and help you more effectively lead them to faith in Jesus? What steps can you take this week to get to know your neighbors, co-workers, or teammates better?
4. Once we understand that a person is ready to hear the gospel of Jesus, having a Bible verse or two to share can be powerful. One that most believers know or can easily memorize is John 3:16. This verse is listed below. Take a few minutes write down what this verse reveals about people, God, Jesus, life after death, how to get to heaven, etc.
John 3:16 (NLT2)
“For God loved the world so much that he gave his one and only Son, so that everyone who believes in him will not perish but have eternal life.”
- What other verses have you memorized that might be helpful when sharing with someone about how to come to faith in Jesus?
TAKE IT HOME
1. What is your biggest takeaway from this sermon and study?
2. Do you have any prayer requests for your group?