Sermon Based Group Homework
For the message on September 26, 2021
Passage: Acts 6:1-7
This Sunday, Sellers finished our series Birth of a Movement by looking at how the early church remained unified when needs were going unmet.
Looking back at your notes from Sunday’s message, was there anything you heard for the first time, caught your attention, or challenged you?
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
When working as part of a team, do you prefer to “do the work” or to lead and coordinate others?
LET’S GO DEEPER
1. Do you think that the Hellenist widows were intentionally left out of the distribution of food? Based on the solution that was given by the twelve, what do you think the problem was?
2. Why wasn’t it desirable for the twelve Apostles to “leave the word of God and serve tables” (Acts 6:2)? What would have been the result if they had stopped preaching the good news?
3. What are your thoughts on pastoral leadership? Should they do the majority of the work of the ministry, or should they delegate most responsibilities?
4. In the message, Sellers said that every believer is responsible to do their part in the ministry of the church? How are you doing part?
5. Look at the requirements for being chosen to serve in verse 5. What were these requirements? Why is it important that those who serve are wise and are submitting to the Spirit?
6. The gospel message about Jesus continued to change lives because more people stepped forward to serve so that the church remained unified. What happens to a church when most of its members want to be served rather than be servants to others?
7. When you see a need at the church or in your community, how do you respond?
a. I ignore it because______________________.
b. I let my pastor know right away because_______.
c. I talk to my closest friends and family but then pray
someone else will do something because_______.
d. I pray and think about what God might have me
TAKE IT HOME
1. What is your biggest takeaway from this sermon and study?
2. Do you have any prayer requests for your group?