Sermon Based Group Homework
For the message on January 10, 2021
Passage: Mark 4:35-41
This Sunday, Mike kicked off our new series called Breakthrough with a message to help us overcome the fear that wants to control our lives.
Looking back at your notes from Sunday’s message, was there anything you heard for the first time, caught your attention, or challenged you?
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
What is your greatest fear in the midst of this ongoing Coronavirus pandemic?
LET’S GO DEEPER
1. While the storm raged, Jesus slept. What a vivid picture and reminder of His humanity! But now that Jesus has left His earthly body and ascended to the Father’s side, do you ever feel like He is still asleep during your storms? Can you provide an an example from your life where you wondered where God was?
2. While it’s easy to mistake Jesus’ silence for His absence, the Bible is clear that Jesus has not left the boat! Can you think of a time when God demonstrated His presence in your life in a vivid way? What do the following verses tell you about Jesus’ current involvement in your life?
Matthew 28:20 (NLT2)
Teach these new disciples to obey all the commands I have given you. And be sure of this: I am with you always, even to the end of the age.”
Galatians 2:20 (NLT2)
My old self has been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me. So I live in this earthly body by trusting in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.
Romans 8:28 (NLT2)
And we know that God causes everything to work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to his purpose for them.
Hebrews 7:25 (NLT2)
Therefore he is able, once and forever, to save those who come to God through him. He lives forever to intercede with God on their behalf.
1 John 2:1 (NLT2)
My dear children, I am writing this to you so that you will not sin. But if anyone does sin, we have an advocate who pleads our case before the Father. He is Jesus Christ, the one who is truly righteous.
- Which one of the above verses encourages you the most?
3. Mike mentioned in his message that some fear is good but it becomes a problem when that fear begins to control our lives. What insight do the following verses provide for battling the fears that overwhelm us?
2 Timothy 1:7 (NLT2)
For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.
Isaiah 41:10 (NLT2)
Don’t be afraid, for I am with you. Don’t be discouraged, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you. I will hold you up with my victorious right hand.
Psalm 23:4 (NLT2)
Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I will not be afraid, for you are close beside me. Your rod and your staff protect and comfort me.
4. In the message, Mike said there are things about God that can only be learned in the storms of life. What have your most difficult life experiences taught you about God?
TAKE IT HOME
1. What is your biggest takeaway from this sermon and study?
2. Do you have any prayer requests for your group?