FRIDAY, JANUARY 22
When the woman realized that she could not stay hidden, she began to tremble and fell to her knees before Him. The whole crowd heard her explain why she had touched Him and that she had been immediately healed. “Daughter,” He said to her, “your faith has made you well. Go in peace.”
Luke 8:47-48 (NLT)
SHE REVEALED HER HEART TO OTHERS
Chip Ingram notes: “In his landmark book Bowling Alone, Robert Putman makes the case that loneliness is America’s new epidemic. People are searching for a place to belong. In the 1970s, it wasn’t uncommon for someone to leave a job that paid well and go off into the woods in order to ‘find himself.’ The issue of the existential sixties and seventies was one of identity. Who am I and why am I here? The issue of the twenty-first century appears to be ‘where do I belong?’ Belonging is a God-given human need. We all need and want the security of belonging to a family, belonging to a group, belonging to a team, belonging with people who need us just like we need them in a healthy and productive way. The fragmentation of the family and the rapid growth in technology have made people more mobile and isolated than ever before. The aching need to belong is at an all-time high” (Living on the Edge).
The woman healed in Luke 8 told the entire crowd what happened. The public declaration was both for the woman’s benefit and for the crowd, who heard her testimony to the power of the one who had healed her. David Guzik comments, “This woman hoped to receive something from Jesus without drawing any attention to herself or her embarrassing problem. Jesus insisted on making public notice of her, and He did this for good reasons:
- He did it so she would know that she was healed, having heard of it from Jesus.
- He did it so others would know she was healed, because her ailment was private in nature.
- He did it so she would know why she was healed, that it was by her faith.
- He did it so that she would not think she had stolen a blessing from Jesus, and so she would never feel that she needed to hide from Him.
- He did it so that He could bless her in a special way, giving her an honored title that we never see Jesus give to any other: daughter.
Mike drove home the importance of sharing our faith journey with others on Sunday by highlighting our small group ministry. If you are not in a group but would like more information go to northstarchurch.org/groups.
Praise God for the stories you’ve heard of God working in the lives of others that have encouraged you.