Sermon Based Group Homework
For the message on May 16, 2021
Passage: Mark 12:28-31
This Sunday, Mike brought us part three of our series on the greatest commandment called “Love God. Love People. Repeat.” Mike helped us know what it means to love God with all our heart, soul, mind and strength.
Looking back at your notes from Sunday’s message, was there anything you heard for the first time, caught your attention, or challenged you?
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
When have your given 100% of your heart to something? Describe what that looked like in your life.
LET’S GO DEEPER
1. When some believers think about what it means to love God with complete devotion, the equate it to feelings and emotions. Read John 21:15-17 and John 14:15. In these two passages, how does John dispel this notion?
When it comes to obeying God, should this be a “have to” or a “want to”? Explain.
Why is obedience to God’s will and Word such a strong indication of our love for Him?
2. In Daniel 3:16-18, three faithful young men demonstrated an unconditional love toward God. They would love and serve Him regardless of whether He would rescue them from the fire. Many believers will love and serve God as long as God comes through on their terms. But when life doesn’t turn out the way they want, they stop loving and serving God.
What would unconditional love for God look like in your life?
3. In Luke 18:21-22, we find the rich young ruler unwilling to give Jesus the keys to all the rooms in his life. He didn’t want Jesus to have access to the money he possessed. Because he couldn’t love Jesus with this area of his life, he couldn’t love Him at all.
Why does Jesus want all our heart and devotion? Is that possible in our fleshly bodies? Why or why not?
Do you have any “locked rooms” in your heart and life currently that you are keeping off limits to the Lord (don’t have to answer out loud)? If so, pray and give the Lord the key to that room and ask for courage to open the door to Him and begin to give Him full access.
As you conclude your time together, brainstorm some ways to grow in your love for God and eliminate those things that sap your love for God.
Then, pray and commit to grow in your love for the Lord beginning this week.
TAKE IT HOME
1. What is your biggest takeaway from this sermon and study?
2. Do you have any prayer requests for your group?