We See You
by C.A. Phillips
Always set a good example for others…
Titus 2:7 (CEV)
Somebody is always watching.
People notice things, even when we may believe we’re in the shadows and others’ view of us is obscured.
- When you repeatedly show up to work late.
- When you cut corners.
- When you never speak up.
- When you always speak up.
- When you fail to prepare.
- When you procrastinate.
- When you criticize and never compliment.
- When you zone out in the meeting every week.
- When you automatically pick up your phone at the table when you are out to dinner with your spouse or family.
There are eyes on you, and impressions are formed…all…the…time.
This is when you have an opportunity to flip the script. When you recognize that you can only lead others well when you first lead yourself well. And, that involves discipline, intentionality, and vision. Oh yeah…and something called Emotional Intelligence (self-awareness).
Yes, people notice when you consistently demonstrate substandard work ethic, don’t value others’ time, or choose to not invest relationally.
However, they also take note…
- When you stay later than necessary to help someone.
- When you share hand-written notes of appreciation.
- When you plan ahead.
- When you speak the truth in love.
- When you ask them about THEM.
- When you persevere through challenges, rather than looking for the easy way out.
- When you accept responsibility, even when it wasn’t your fault.
- When you continue to work hard to get better at a skill, even when you’re already “pretty good” at something.
Eyes are watching. At home, at work, on the road, at the ball field, at the gym, in the neighborhood.
And, who knows…when someone sees good in you, they just might be inspired to live their life in such a way that someone would see good in them!
C.A. Phillips is a lifelong sports enthusiast and youth baseball coach, and currently serves as the Communications Pastor and Director of Men’s Groups at NorthStar Church in Kennesaw, Ga. He lives in Kennesaw with his wife, Amy, and his two sons, Chaz and Chandler.
Imagine that you could sit down and pick the brains of some of the top leaders in the country! That’s the premise behind the Linch with a Leader podcast. Learn how these leaders – all among the best in their respective field – have risen to the top, while continuing to grow spiritually and chase after the Lord.