Sermon Based Group Homework
For the message on April 3, 2022
Passage: Acts 16:13-18
In part 8 of our Resilient series, Sellers looked at the miracle salvations of Lydia and the slave girl.
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
What have you seen in your life that you would call a miracle? Why?
LET’S GO DEEPER
1. Lydia seemed to have everything going for her. She was likely rich as she sold expensive purple cloth and had her own home. She worshipped God sincerely and was attending the town prayer meeting. Yet, she was missing something! A personal relationship with Jesus! While Paul and Silas began talking to her about the gospel, God miraculously opened her heart to the message and she believed and was saved. The miracle of Lydia’s salvation is a miracle that every believer experiences. At the moment of our conversion, God steps into our inmost being and makes us receptive to the message of Jesus. What do the following passages tell us about this miraculous work of the Spirit in salvation?
John 6:44 (NLT2)
44 For no one can come to me unless the Father who sent me draws them to me.
2 Corinthians 4:6 (NLT2)
6 For God, who said, “Let there be light in the darkness,” has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ.
John 16:13 (NLT2)
13 When the Spirit of truth comes, he will guide you into all truth.
When did the Spirit open your heart to the good news about Jesus and give you the heart to follow Him? Describe your experience.
2. Not only did Lydia experience a miracle, but so did the slave girl that Paul and Silas encountered. She was possessed by an evil spirit, was profitable to her owners, and followed Paul around to his annoyance. Through the power of the Spirit, Paul freed her from the evil spirit and it seems that she finally came to faith and was saved. This girl’s situation seemed unchangeable and impossible yet God worked a miracle in her heart so she might know Jesus. What do the following passages tell us about what God can do when it appears change is out of the question?
Ezekiel 37:1-10 (NLT2)
1 The LORD took hold of me, and I was carried away by the Spirit of the LORD to a valley filled with bones. 2 He led me all around among the bones that covered the valley floor. They were scattered everywhere across the ground and were completely dried out. 3 Then he asked me, “Son of man, can these bones become living people again?” “O Sovereign LORD,” I replied, “you alone know the answer to that.” 4 Then he said to me, “Speak a prophetic message to these bones and say, ‘Dry bones, listen to the word of the LORD! 5 This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Look! I am going to put breath into you and make you live again! 6 I will put flesh and muscles on you and cover you with skin. I will put breath into you, and you will come to life. Then you will know that I am the LORD.’” 7 So I spoke this message, just as he told me. Suddenly as I spoke, there was a rattling noise all across the valley. The bones of each body came together and attached themselves as complete skeletons. 8 Then as I watched, muscles and flesh formed over the bones. Then skin formed to cover their bodies, but they still had no breath in them. 9 Then he said to me, “Speak a prophetic message to the winds, son of man. Speak a prophetic message and say, ‘This is what the Sovereign LORD says: Come, O breath, from the four winds! Breathe into these dead bodies so they may live again.’” 10 So I spoke the message as he commanded me, and breath came into their bodies. They all came to life and stood up on their feet—a great army.
Matthew 19:26 (NLT2)
26 Jesus looked at them intently and said, “Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible.”
Ephesians 3:20 (NLT2)
20 Now all glory to God, who is able, through his mighty power at work within us, to accomplish infinitely more than we might ask or think.
Are you facing an impossible situation where you need God to work a miracle? Allow a few moment for the group to pray for God to work.
3. As Sellers said in his message, each of us can have our own miracle story of life change by trusting in Jesus for salvation.
Who do you know that needs to experience their own salvation miracle? Pray for the names mentioned as a group.
TAKE IT HOME
1. What is your biggest takeaway from this sermon and study?
2. Do you have any prayer requests for your group?