Sermon Based Group Homework
For the message on November 3 , 2019
Passage: Hebrews 12:22-24
This Sunday, Mike continued our series on Heaven as he talked about some of the things that WILL be in heaven! We can be sure that heaven won’t be boring!
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
Who are some of the believers already in heaven that you are looking forward to reuniting with?
LET’S GO DEEPER
1. In Revelation 21:22-27, John got a glimpse of heaven and wrote down some observations. What are some of the things he noticed were NOT there? What are some of the things he noticed that WERE there?
Revelation 21:22-27 (ESV)
22 And I saw no temple in the city, for its temple is the Lord God the Almighty and the Lamb. 23 And the city has no need of sun or moon to shine on it, for the glory of God gives it light, and its lamp is the Lamb. 24 By its light will the nations walk, and the kings of the earth will bring their glory into it, 25 and its gates will never be shut by day—and there will be no night there. 26 They will bring into it the glory and the honor of the nations. 27 But nothing unclean will ever enter it, nor anyone who does what is detestable or false, but only those who are written in the Lamb’s book of life.
- Did anything surprise you about what John noticed about heaven?
- Did you notice that the gates will remain open? In John’s day, cities would close their gates to keep enemies out, but there will be no enemies in eternal heaven! What enemies to your faith are you glad won’t have access to you anymore in heaven?
- Believing kings and believing citizens from all nations of the world will be there! Why do you think this was important message for the Jewish audience that may have been reading these words? Why is this important for you and I to remember?
2. What do the verses listed below tell us about some of the things we we will be doing in heaven?
Revelation 22:3 (ESV)
3 No longer will there be anything accursed, but the throne of God and of the Lamb will be in it, and his servants will worship him.
1 Corinthians 6:2-3 (ESV)
2 Or do you not know that the saints will judge the world? And if the world is to be judged by you, are you incompetent to try trivial cases? 3 Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, then, matters pertaining to this life!
Matthew 25:14-23 (ESV)
14 “For it will be like a man going on a journey, who called his servants and entrusted to them his property. 15 To one he gave five talents, to another two, to another one, to each according to his ability. Then he went away. 16 He who had received the five talents went at once and traded with them, and he made five talents more. 17 So also he who had the two talents made two talents more. 18 But he who had received the one talent went and dug in the ground and hid his master’s money. 19 Now after a long time the master of those servants came and settled accounts with them. 20 And he who had received the five talents came forward, bringing five talents more, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me five talents; here I have made five talents more.’ 21 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’ 22 And he also who had the two talents came forward, saying, ‘Master, you delivered to me two talents; here I have made two talents more.’ 23 His master said to him, ‘Well done, good and faithful servant. You have been faithful over a little; I will set you over much. Enter into the joy of your master.’
- What are some of the things you are looking forward to about heaven?
- According to Matthew 25:14-23, how should we be preparing for heaven?
TAKE IT HOME
1. What is your biggest takeaway from this sermon and study?
2. Do you have any prayer requests for your group?