Sermon Based Group Homework
For the message on February 28, 2021
This Sunday, Mike continued our series on the Voice of God by describing some of the ways that the Spirit guides our lives as believers.
Looking back at your notes from Sunday’s message, was there anything you heard for the first time, caught your attention, or challenged you?
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
Can you think of the first time you sensed the Holy Spirit was speaking to you? Can you describe it?
LET’S GO DEEPER
1. In the message, Mike began by saying that the Spirit will affirm in our spirit that we are God’s children. Can you think back to the time when the Spirit affirmed in your spirit that you had become a child of God through faith? According to Romans 8:14, what is one indication that we have become a child of God.
Romans 8:14 (NLT2)
For all who are led by the Spirit of God are children of God.
What do you think it means to be “led by the Spirit of God”?
2. The Spirit also helps us understand God’s Word and bring it to our remembrance at just the right time. The Spirit will bring to mind the truths of God’s Word we have internalized. The great example of this is when Jesus repeated memorized Scripture back to Satan during His 40 days of temptation. How can memorizing key Bible verses help you on a daily basis? In light of the following verses, why is memorizing Scripture important?
Psalm 119:11 (NLT2)
I have hidden your word in my heart, that I might not sin against you.
Colossians 3:16 (NLT2)
16 Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts.
1 Peter 3:15 (NLT2)
15 Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life. And if someone asks about your Christian hope, always be ready to explain it.
What are a couple of verses that would be good to memorize? What kind of system could you use to help you do this effectively?
3. In the message, Mike showed us from Philippians 2:13 that the Spirit works in us to give us the desire and the ability to do what pleases God. How have your desires changed since coming to faith in Christ? What God-pleasing things have you been able to do since coming to know Christ?
4. One of the ways the Spirit guides us is to work in our conscience and give us an uneasiness about a choice or situation. Some call this a “check” in their spirit. In the message, Mike showed us how the Spirit twice would not allow Paul and Silas to travel into certain provinces to preach the message of Christ. We don’t know why but we can trust the timing wasn’t right or God was keeping them from dangers they weren’t privy to. When has the Spirit put a check in your spirit about something? How did you respond?
5. Based on this discussion and from your own experience, what are some ways you can stay sensitive to the Spirit’s guidance in your life?
TAKE IT HOME
1. What is your biggest takeaway from this sermon and study?
2. Do you have any prayer requests for your group?