Sermon Based Group Homework
For the message on January 23, 2022
Passage: Ephesians 6:6-9 (This is Different from the Sermon)
Ken Coleman challenged us to discover greater purpose in our work than just a paycheck.
Looking back at your notes from Sunday’s message, was there anything you heard for the first time, caught your attention, or challenged you?
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
What was your first job? Based solely upon your work ethic at that time, do you think your employer would re-hire you now?
Can you remember one of the first times you were “put in charge” over others? Would those under your authority describe you as being too harsh or too soft?
LET’S GO DEEPER
1. Do you think God cares more about what work you choose to do or do you think He is more concerned with how you do your work? What impact does this have on the work you do?
2. According to Jesus, who should we view as our real “boss”? As believers, how should this affect how we work?
3. Describe a time that you went above and beyond what was expected with a task that had to be done.
4. Read Matthew 25:23 aloud. How should Jesus’ words in this verse shape our attitude toward the seemingly insignificant or menial tasks in front of us right now?
5. Consider all the daily tasks set before you every day (at your job, in your family, in your community, at church, etc.). Focus on a task where you have been “coasting” and “mailing it in.” Share one way that you plan to go above and beyond what is expected of you this week.
6. As you close in prayer, ask the Lord to help you see Him as the One you are working for, regardless of the task set before you.
TAKE IT HOME
1. What is your biggest takeaway from this sermon and study?
2. Do you have any prayer requests for your group?