Sermon Based Group Homework
For the message on March 24, 2019
Passage: Hebrews 13:7-25
This Sunday, Mike concluded our study through the book of Hebrews by looking at how we can pray for our spiritual leaders.
GETTING TO KNOW YOU
Did you grow up in church? When did you come to faith in Christ? How have the spiritual leaders in your life helped you follow Jesus?
LET’S GO DEEPER
1. In the message Sunday, Mike talked about how we could pray for Him and the other spiritual leaders in our lives. Read through the verses listed below then take a few minutes to write out a prayer you can pray for NorthStar’s staff, volunteers, and leaders each day this week.
Purity – 1 Timothy 3:2 (ESV)
2 Therefore an overseer must be above reproach, the husband of one wife, sober-minded, self-controlled, respectable, hospitable, able to teach,
Peace-loving – 1 Timothy 3:3 (ESV)
3 not a drunkard, not violent but gentle, not quarrelsome, not a lover of money.
Gentle – 2 Timothy 2:24-25 (ESV)
24 And the Lord’s servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, 25 correcting his opponents with gentleness.
Stay true to the Bible – Titus 1:9 (ESV)
9 He must hold firm to the trustworthy word as taught, so that he may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to rebuke those who contradict it.
Full of Good Fruit – James 3:13 (ESV)
13 Who is wise and understanding among you? By his good conduct let him show his works in the meekness of wisdom.
Impartial – James 2:1 (ESV)
1 My brothers, show no partiality as you hold the faith in our Lord Jesus Christ, the Lord of glory.
Sincere – 2 Corinthians 2:17 (ESV)
17 For we are not, like so many, peddlers of God’s word, but as men of sincerity, as commissioned by God, in the sight of God we speak in Christ.
2. On Sunday, Mike gave six ways that we could pray for he and the leaders of NorthStar. Which one of these prayers do you personally identify with the most? How can this group pray for you in this area?
- Always keeping it about Jesus
- Living a life worthy of imitation
- Keep pointing toward home (heaven)
- Stay servant minded and others focused
- Lead out of joy not obligation
- Keep depending on God
3. As we wrap up this study through Hebrews, the writer asks his readers to pray for them and the spiritual leaders over them. Prayer is a major weapon at our disposal for persevering in our faith. What lessons about prayer can you learn from Jesus’ model prayer? What are the different types of prayers that you see in these verses? How well are you praying these kinds of prayers in your own life?
- Matthew 6:9-13 (ESV)
9 Pray then like this: “Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. 10 Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. 11 Give us this day our daily bread, 12 and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. 13 And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.
TAKE IT HOME
1. Looking back at this week’s teaching and study, is there one thing you’d especially like to remember this week?
2. Do you have any prayer requests for your group?